Get To Know Teeth With Your Dentist in Brighton

Ever heard the saying ‘you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone’? Well, that applies to our teeth and too often we do not appreciate their function until we have a dental problem. Your teeth are one of the most important tissues in your body and the only tissue that does not repair itself, giving you all the more reason to take care of them! Although it is rarely thought about, have you ever imagined life without your teeth that helps you chew, speak and forms your facial structure? Luckily, you are not alone and we at Dr Anthony Spink Dental Suite put our 18 years of professional experience to use, helping you to maintain a dazzle in your smile.

Here are some interesting facts about your pearly whites to help you appreciate them a little more:

1. Your tooth prints are just as unique as your fingerprints meaning that your smile is actually one of a kind.

2. Your enamel, the outer protective layer of your teeth is the hardest substance in your body but can still be damaged by bad habits and diet choices.

3. Many people do not feel the need to floss after brushing, but did you know that brushing only cleans about 60 percent of your tooth surface? The remaining 40 percent is cleaned by flossing.

4. Your tongue print is also unique to your mouth and can be used to identify you.

5. Plaque is made up of more than 300 types of bacteria

6. Sugar is your teeth’s number one enemy with sodas being the main culprit of patients’ high sugar intake.

7. You have four kinds of teeth which serve different purposes:

  • Incisors – are designed for cutting.
  • Canines – are designed for tearing.
  • Premolars – are designed for tearing and grinding.
  • Molars – designed for grinding.

8. If you are right-handed, you would most likely chew on the right side of your mouth and if you are left handed then you probably chew on the left side. These are habits that can change.

9. Your teeth start to form before you are born and they sit below your gum line.

10. Only two-thirds of your tooth can be seen.

11. Your teeth contains chemical elements known as isotopes that are unique to where you grew up.

12. Dentists can use your existing teeth’s stem cells to one day grow new teeth.

13. Only 65 percent of people grow wisdom teeth which are the last set to sprout in your mouth.

14. Teeth can’t repair themselves and neither can receding gums.

15. Humans have two sets of teeth in their lifetime, these are your primary milk teeth and your permanent teeth.

16. In most people’s lifetime, their mouths will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools!

17. Some diseases symptoms can be picked up by looking into your mouth, such as diabetes.

18. Flossing increases your life expectancy rate by six years.

19. Half of the people you speak to will notice your smile first.

20. Toothpaste only existed since 100 years ago.

 

Now that you understand the importance of your teeth, be sure to book an appointment at our Brighton practice.