Did you know that your oral health gives you clues to the health of your entire body, and that issues in your mouth can affect the health of the rest of your body?
Your mouth, like many areas of your body, is teeming with bacteria which are mostly harmless when maintained at appropriate levels.
Normally, the body’s natural defences paired with a good oral hygiene routine can keep these bacteria under control. Without proper dental care and oral hygiene, however, these bacteria can reach high levels that could lead to oral infections like tooth decay and gum disease.
The connection between oral health and our body’s health
As part of Anthony Spink Dental Suite’s commitment to preventive dentistry, they provide endodontic treatment with an ultimate goal of preventing gum disease. Gingivitis is the early stages of gum disease and if it’s not treated promptly, can progress to advanced gum disease, known as periodontitis.
Periodontitis is a severe disease that can result in gum withdrawal, infections in the teeth as well as tooth and bone loss. Studies have shown that oral bacteria and the inflammation associated with periodontitis, could aid in the development of serious diseases including:
- Endocarditis – Endocarditis is an infection of the inner lining of your heart which occurs when bacteria from other parts of your body (i.e. your mouth) spread throughout your bloodstream and attach to damaged areas in your heart.
- Cardiovascular disease (heart disease) and stroke – has been linked to the inflammation and infections that oral bacteria can cause.
- Pregnancy and birth – Periodontitis has been scientifically connected to both premature birth and low birth weight.
Tips to maintain good oral hygiene
Maintaining a good oral hygiene routine is one of the most vital things you can do to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Not only do healthy teeth enhance the aesthetics of your smile, they make it possible to eat and speak properly. Good oral health is important to your overall health and some tips to preserve good health include:
- Cut down on sugary foods
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Brush your tongue and gums too
- Visit Anthony Spink Dental Suites every 6 months
- Keep your diet rich in calcium and vitamins
- Replace your toothbrush regularly
- Stop using tobacco
- Chew sugarless gum
Visit Anthony Spink Dental Suite every 6 months for elite dental care
Maintaining good oral health is extremely important to ensure you keep your teeth healthy for life. Even with the advancements in dental technology, nothing beats the feel, form and function of your natural teeth. The team at Anthony Spink Dental Suite will do whatever is needed to keep your natural smile through every stage of your life.
If you want more information on having good dental care or want to book an appointment, contact Anthony Spink Dental Suite today.